We currently hold two Gaudy Dinners and two Gaudy Lunches each year, iniviting alumni by matriculation year. This enables alumni to return to St John's approximately every five years to enjoy a meal in Hall with their contemporaries and former tutors.
These are normally held in March and June each year, on Friday of 9th week of Hilary and Trinity Terms. Alumni are invited before the Gaudy to tea in the ACR and to a special Choral Evensong in Chapel. A champagne reception is held before dinner in the President's Lodging, followed by a black-tie dinner in Hall. Accommodation is provided in College for the Friday night. On Saturday morning breakfast is available in Hall and the ACR is open for coffee and more time for chat and catch up.
These are normally held in March and June/July each year, on Saturday of 10th week in Hilary and Trinity Terms. Alumni are invited to coffee beforehand in the ACR and to a drinks reception in the President's Lodgings. Lunch is in Hall, and is a more informal occasion than the traditional Gaudy Dinner. The lunches are not intended to replace Gaudy Dinners, but to be in addition, to allow alumni more occasions to get together with their year group.
A save the date email will go out around four months before each Gaudy. Invitations will follow by email (or by post where we have no email address) around 2 months before the event. We encourage alumni to reply without delay. As we have a limit on numbers due to the size of the Hall, we do, unfortunately, have waiting lists for some Gaudies. Please ensure we have your current contact details if you have a Gaudy coming up.
- 21 March 2014: Gaudy Dinner (1966 - 1969)
- 29 March 2014: Gaudy Lunch (2006 - 2008)
- 5 July 2014: Gaudy Lunch (1976 - 1979 and up to 1950)
- 3 October 2014: Gaudy Dinner (1980 - 1982)
Gaudies in 2015 (dates TBC)
- In 2015 alumni who matriculated in the following years will be invited to Gaudy Dinners: 1983, 1984, 1985, 2003 and 2004
- In 2015 alumni who matriculated in the following years will be invited to Gaudy Lunches: all years up to and including 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1970 and 1971