Organ Scholars History
The Sir William Paddy Organ Scholarship was set up by the Governing Body of the College in 1923. For many years, the Choir had been a group of paid singers led by a professional director of music. From 1893, Dr Frederick Iliffe led this choir. Upon his retirement at the end of the 1919-1920 academic year, the group of paid singers was disbanded, and an undergraduate, Philip Taylor, was appointed by the Governing Body to set up a voluntary Choir made up of undergraduates. Three years later, Taylor was made the College’s first Organ Scholar for the academic year starting 1923.
Our Senior Organ Scholar, Francis Goodburn, has researched the names of all of the previous Organ Scholars of the College, which can now be found in the Organ Scholars Record.