The Women’s Network aims to celebrate and support St John’s College women by bringing together current students, fellows, staff and alumnae from across the world. Building on the success of the 2000 Women celebrations, the Network aims to further women’s engagement with the College, and to support their education, well-being and life opportunities.
What will the Network do?
The Women’s Network brings together existing events and initiatives for St John’s women into one network, and provides a platform for more extensive connections to be made.
- Through the soon-to-launch online platform for St John's alumni, women students of St John's will be able to connect with alumnae for mentoring.
- Speaker events, in a variety of locations and formats, with women speakers sharing their experience and insights. These events are open to all genders.
- St John's Women's Festival in March 2018
- Women's Leadership Programme
- Annual London Women's Network Dinner, organised in association with Eyedea
The Network is open to all St John’s women, past and present, and will be overseen by a Steering Group made up of St John’s students, fellows, alumnae and representatives of the Development and Alumni Relations Team.
Note the St John’s Women’s Network defines a woman as anyone who identifies wholly or partially as a woman and/or as transfeminine.
To kick off, we have three upcoming events:
Launch: Wednesday 1 November 2017 (St John’s College, Oxford)
The Network will officially launch on 1 November at one of the Women’s Lunches regularly held in College. After lunch, students will have the opportunity for career advice from alumnae working in a range of fields; a taste of the kind of mentoring relationships the Network will help to foster.
In Conversation with Angela Eagle: 16 November 2017 (Church House, London)
The Women’s Network is pleased to support the third in the College’s 'In Conversation' series.
Professor Kate Nation will be sitting down with Angela Eagle MP (PPE, 1980) for a dynamic and fascinating discussion. Following the conversation, there will be time for a Q&A session with the audience as well as a post-event drinks reception. Tickets for this event are £25 and you are welcome to bring guests. If you would like to attend please register here.
Saturday 10 March 2018 (St
John’s College, Oxford)
Save the date! Building on the highly successful 2000 Women’s Big Weekend, we will host a day of events celebrating and inspiring SJC women on Saturday 10 March 2018. Activities will include:
- Short talks from alumnae, students and fellows on a broad range of subjects related to academia, careers and all aspects of life
- Workshops and performances highlighting current student and alumnae activities (including sports, music, art, activism and gender)
- Panel and discussion, including 'The future is female'
- Opportunities for suggesting future activities for the network
- Exhibition: 'A History of Women at St John's' from the College archive
4 Ways to Get Involved
The Women’s Network will work best as more people get involved! Pick from the options below...
- Would you like to speak at a future Women's Lunch?
- Could you contribute to the Women's Festival by speaking or running a workshop?
- Do you have an idea for an event, or something else the Women's Network could do?
- Would you like to be an alumnae representative on the Steering Group?
We’d love to hear from you. Email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Get Involved’.