College Office and Access & Admissions Office

The College Office handles all academic administration for undergraduate and postgraduate students. 

The College Office comprises:
Senior Tutor: Dr Matthew Nicholls
Academic Administrator: Eileen Marston
Senior Academic Officer: Elaine Eastgate
Senior Academic Officer: Eva Reinhardt (8.30am-3.00pm weeks 0-9; mornings only outside of term)
Administrative Officer:  Noreen Huffman (Mon-Thu only)
Graduate Officer: Caroline Lordan

The College Office is on the first floor of the Bursary at the end of the corridor, entrance on staircase 7 North Quad and is open 8.30 am-1.00 pm and 2.00-5.00 pm, Monday to Friday.

The Access and Admissions Office is located at 15 St Giles:
Fellow for Admissions and Access: Dr Sandra Campbell
Undergraduate Admissions Officer: Sarah Jones
Access and Outreach Associate for STEM: Ana Wallis
Assistant Access and Admissions Officer: Alfie Deere-Hall

Admissions Assistant: Cas Burton
Inspire Project Lead: Matthew Garraghan
Inspire Project Support Officer: Maren Fichter

Student Handbooks

University Cards

Lost cards
If your University Card is lost, the quickest way to get a replacement is to pay the £15 fee online through the Oxford Online Store. This must be done by the card holder. Payment automatically triggers a request for a replacement to the University Card Office. They will send your replacement card to the College Office. It takes approximately 2 days for new cards to arrive, and we will email you when yours has arrived so you can collect it. 

If you need urgent access to libraries, the Bodleian Library Admissions Office in the Weston Library on Broad Street will issue you a day pass until your new University Card is ready for collection.

Damaged or stolen cards, or to extend your card
If your University Card is faulty or damaged there is no replacement fee payable. If your University Card is stolen there is no replacement fee payable as long as you can provide a crime number, issued by the Police. Otherwise, it is treated as lost.

Once a card is reported as lost or stolen, the barcode number will be stopped. Should the original card be found, it will no longer be useable. Your new card will have a new number, and you will need to take it to the Finance Office (Bursary Room 23) and to the College Librarian so that your details can be updated onto the relevant systems. 

Replacements for damaged cards will keep the same barcode number.

To request a replacement for a card that has been damaged or stolen, please complete and submit this online form. College Office will contact you when your new card arrives.

Graduate students needing to extend their cards should use the same online form above.

Vacation Residence

If you need to stay in College at the end of a term (i.e. after Saturday of 8th Week), or return before Thursday of 0th Week of the following term, or if you want to stay in College during some part of a vacation, you will need to complete a Vacation residence application. 

You will need to apply for Vacation Residence if you need to stay in College beyond the end of term in order to take University exams; this is not arranged automatically by the College.

You will be charged for the period of residence for which you apply; however a vacation grant may be available to offset the cost.

Confirmation of Status Letters

Documents confirming your student status, such as letters for Council Tax purposes or for opening a bank account, are available through the University Student Self Service. These documents will need to be stamped by the College Office. 

Travel Visa and other letters
To request a letter to support a Travel Visa application, and for other letter requests, please complete and submit this online form.


A transcript is an official summary of your academic performance and progress to date. It will only include final marks confirmed by the appropriate Examination Board.  All students who commenced their studies on or after Michaelmas Term 2007 will automatically receive one copy of their final transcript from the Examination and Assessments section of the University upon completing their degree. This will be sent to the home address listed in your Student Self-Service account. For more information see the University's Academic Transcripts pages. 

Alumni who commenced their studies prior to Michaelmas Term 2007 may request a statement giving details of dates of attendance, degree course(s), examinations taken, marks achieved and degree class. To request a statement please complete and submit this online form. Please allow 4 working days for delivery.


For enquiries about degree days, please email Degrees or visit our Graduation page.

Room Booking

St John's students may, with appropriate permission, book venues in college. Please make sure you have read the Room Booking Guide for Students before completing the Student Room Booking Form.