Average intake: Four
Tutors and Lecturers
- Professor Alan Grafen, Tutorial Fellow in Quantitative Biology
- Professor Theresa Burt de Perera, Tutorial Fellow in Biological Sciences
- Professor Jason Schnell, Tutorial Fellow in Biochemistry
- Professor Nick Harberd, Sibthorpian Professor of Plant Sciences
- Professor Philip K Maini, Professorial Fellow in Mathematical Biology
- Professor Heather Bouman, Supernumerary Fellow in Biogeochemistry
- Dr Tom Kemp, Emeritus Research Fellow in Zoology
- Dr Natalia Gromak, Science Research Fellow in Biochemistry
More about Biology at St John's
- St John's is fortunate to have two full Tutorial Fellows in Biology and a Tutor in Biochemistry, all at the frontiers of active research in their fields, and who between them cover a very broad range of teaching interests, from biomathematics and molecules to animal behaviour and evolution.
- The Tutors are enthusiastic about tutorial teaching and believe it rightly complements the more formal lectures by providing students with the opportunity to explore their own ideas about biology and to develop their ability to express them.
- We own Bagley Wood, 200 hectares of mixed lowland woodland on the edge of Oxford that students can use for research and recreation.
- St John's encourages any interested biologists to undertake overseas expeditions in order to increase their experience of the natural world, and is able to offer generous travel grants to help.
- Biology students in College form a good social as well as academic group, helping one another and enjoying an annual Biology Club dinner.
- The majority of our students have gone on to pursue higher degrees. Others have gone on to careers in natural history filming, teaching, and journalism, while still others have taken their broad biological education into the world of law, commerce, and management.