- Date 19 May 2021 - 12.00 p.m. - 19 May 2021 - 1.00 p.m.
- Location Online or at the Museum of London
Professor Katherine Blundell OBE is a Professor of Astrophysics at Oxford University and a Research Fellow at St John's College. Before this she was one of the Royal Society's University Research Fellows, a Research Fellow of the 1851 Royal Commission, and a Junior Research Fellow at Balliol College, Oxford. She was appointed Gresham Professor of Astronomy in 2019.
Professor Blundell is giving a series of lectures for Gresham College over the coming months. Those scheduled for 2020 will be taking place online, with the 2021 events hopefully taking place in person at Gresham College.
The series is scheduled as follows:
- Cosmic Vision: Watching the Radio - Wednesday 7 October, 13:00.
- Cosmic Vision: Attentive Eyes - Wednesday 28 October, 13:00.
- Cosmic Vision: Witnessing Fireworks - Wednesday 18 November, 13:00.
- Cosmic Vision: Unravelling Rainbows - Wednesday 27 January, 13:00.
- Cosmic Vision: Fast & Furious - Wednesday 3 March, 13:00.
- Cosmic Vision: Space-quakes - Wednesday 19 May, 13:00.
Professor Blundell's research interests include the evolution of active galaxies and their life cycles, the accretion of material near black holes and the launch and propagation of relativistic jets (jets of plasma emitted by some black holes). In her research she uses electromagnetic imaging and spectroscopy, as well as computational techniques.