I completed my MChem at University of York in 2017. Subsequently, I undertook a PhD under the supervision of Prof. Steve Liddle at University of Manchester, completed in 2021. My doctoral research examined the synthesis and properties of highly reactive compounds of uranium and thorium. I began a Junior Research Fellowship at St John’s College in 2021.
My interests lie in the organometallic chemistry of the main group and actinide elements. Specifically, the synthesis of low-valent compounds of main group elements and their reactivity with small molecules. The use of elements such as aluminium, which is highly earth-abundant, to accomplish challenging chemical transformations has the potential to lessen industrial reliance on toxic/scarce metals and reduce global greenhouse gas emissions. In addition, I am interested in exploring the fundamental chemistry of the actinides. Such investigations may reveal new facets to the properties of these radioactive elements and inform enhanced methods for the remediation of nuclear waste.
I am very happy to be contacted by prospective Part 2/undergraduate project students.
1) J. T. Boronski et al., A crystalline tri-thorium cluster with σ-aromatic metal–metal bonding, Nature, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41586-021-03888-3
2) J. T. Boronski et al., Insights into the Composition and Structural Chemistry of Gallium(I) Triflate, Angewandte Chemie, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.202010837
3) J. T. Boronski et al., Fragmentation, catenation, and direct functionalisation of white phosphorus by a uranium(iv)–silyl–phosphino–carbene complex, Chemical Communications, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1039/D1CC01741A
4) J. T. Boronski et al., f‐Element Half‐Sandwich Complexes: A Tetrasilylcyclobutadienyl–Uranium(IV)–Tris(tetrahydroborate) Anion Pianostool Complex, Angewandte Chemie, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.201913640
5) J. T. Boronski et al., Heteroleptic actinocenes: a thorium(iv)–cyclobutadienyl–cyclooctatetraenyl–di-potassium-cyclooctatetraenyl complex, Chemical Science, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1039/D0SC02479A