Target Oxbridge is a free programme that aims to help Black African and Caribbean students and students of mixed race with Black African and Caribbean heritage increase their chances of getting into the Universities of Oxford or Cambridge. Since launching in 2012, Target Oxbridge has helped over 350 students to secure Oxbridge offers.
St John's is committed to increasing the proportion of Black British students both at the College and at Oxford University. Each year we support the programme with a grant of £5000 and free visit days to the College. Find out more about the recent 2022 Summer Visit, in which 50 students were welcomed to the College.
The programme aims to develop intellectual, cultural and social development irrespective of personal or economic barriers. These strands include:
- Regular one-on-one contact with a Black or minority ethnic Oxbridge graduate to pinpoint your strengths, discuss your aspirations and identify areas for development.
- Personalised advice on making the right degree subject, university and college selection.
- Residential visits and day visits to both universities.
- Academic sessions, admissions assessment workshops and interview workshops run by Oxford and Cambridge tutors and admissions staff.
- Personalised advice on your personal statement, UCAS form, SAQ statement and other submitted materials including essays and portfolios.
Target Oxbridge Summer 2022 Visit
The Brilliant Club
The Brilliant Club trains PhD tutors to deliver their Scholars Programme in schools across the UK. This programme helps pupils develop the knowledge, skills and confidence to progress to the most competitive universities.
Each pupil also has the opportunity to visit two universities, which we are delighted to support here at St John's. We host both their launch events, and their graduations. Brilliant Club scholars enjoy the chance to meet current St John's students, explore the beautiful grounds and try our tasty food in hall.
2022 Brilliant Club Graduation
Oxford Open Doors
As part of our commitment to community engagement, we are delighted to support Oxford Open Doors.
Oxford Open Doors is an annual weekend where places open to celebrate heritage and culture across all walks of the city's life. It has been running since 2007.
In September we were delighted to welcome 1500 visitors to St John's.
It was lovely to see families exploring the grounds with our 'University Detectives' Treasure Hunt.
UNIQ is the University of Oxford’s access programme for state school students. Places are prioritised for students with good grades from backgrounds that are under-represented at Oxford and other universities. Every year more students from diverse backgrounds get offered places at Oxford with help from UNIQ.
St John's is pleased to provide UNIQ Summer Schools with subsided food and accommodation in our beautiful College.