Participants at our Study Days attend talks and workshops led by tutors, find out more about the course at Oxford and what tutors are looking for, and meet current St John's students. We offer both in-person events and virtual events. We often issue some preparatory reading in advance of our Study Days which will then form the basis of the seminars.
Our Study Days (both in-person and virtual) are often oversubscribed and selection is based on academic merit and contextual factors. Participants must be predicted to achieve at least AAA at A level or AAAAB/AAAAA in Scottish Highers (or equivalent). Where candidates from the Scottish system can offer Advanced Highers we would expect AA (for two subjects) or AAB (for three subjects). Places are generally limited to two per school/college, although larger establishments may be offered more places.
All Study Days are free of charge.
In-person Study Days
In-person Study Days include a free lunch at St John’s. Pupils must make their own travel arrangements to and from Oxford. Please note that we are not able to provide parking facilities so pupils are encouraged to travel to Oxford by public transport.
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to attend our event. If you are travelling to one of our Study Days in College we may be able to help with a contribution towards your travel expenses. The support available for travel will depend on the distance travelled, based on the shortest route between your home postcode and St John’s College.
Virtual Study Days
If you are attending a virtual Study Day from your home working space we may be able to help by providing item(s) to support effective digital working. There are a range of digital support items available, and the item(s) you receive will depend on your personal requirements to work effectively from home.
Study Days 2023/24
Our Study Days and Subject Exploration Days will be returning in the new year. We have confirmed dates for our next set of Study Days.
Applications are NOW OPEN! Applications will close 4 weeks prior to each Study Day or Subject Exploration Day.
- Geography Study Day: 21st February 2024
- Maths and Computer Science Study Day: 6th March 2024
- History Study Day: 17th April 2024
- Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Virtual Study Day: 27th April
- Classics Subject Exploration Day: 1st May 2024
- English Subject Exploration Day: 10th May 2024
- Chemistry Study Day: 6th June 2024
- Modern Languages Study Day: 12th June 2024
Previous Study Days at St John's
- Wednesday 11th May 2022 - Mathematics and Computer Science Study Day
- Wednesday 18th May 2022 – Chemistry Study Day
- Wednesday 9th March 2022 - Modern Languages Study Day
- Saturday 19th March 2022 - Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Study Day (Virtual Event)
- Wednesday 1st March 2023 - Geography Study Day
- Saturday 11th March 2023 - Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (Virtual) Study Day
- Wednesday 3rd May 2023 - Maths and Computer Sciences Study Day
- Wednesday 10th May 2023 - Modern Languages Study Day
- Wednesday 17th May 2023 - Chemistry Study Day
University-wide study days
Many other colleges and departments organise study days throughout the year. For a full-listing of events see Outreach Events.
" I loved getting an insight into the running of the college through tours, taster lectures, and hearing from students. I also loved looking at Spanish poetry as it is not something I had done before but now want to go on and study. " Year 12 Student at the Modern Languages Study Day 2022
" I really loved getting an insight into the way that Oxford works and what it would be like to study there. I particularly enjoyed the interview questions as they were challenging but taught me how to approach hard questions by thinking outside of the box and coming up with ideas to steer yourself into the right direction. " Year 12 Pupil on the Virtual Medicine and Biomedical Sciences Study Day 2022